Sunday, August 26, 2012

Studio Review: Uplift Studios - Get Uplifted!!


Confession: I am in love with Uplift Studios.

Located on West 23rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues in Gramercy, this women-only fitness studio has amazing instructors, killer classes (seriously, 3 days later and I'm still sore from Chelsea's Uplifting class), and a wonderful female-empowerment atmosphere. The whole philosophy of Uplift is that fitness and fun go hand-in-hand. The studio is set up so that you can hang out before or after a workout, chatting over complimentary snacks and beverages with other students and the studio founders.
space for personal training or pre-/post-class workouts (source
I first heard about Uplift through my trainer, Amanda, who was teaching yoga classes there. Since the studio had just opened, they had some great deals on classes, and I decided to try it out. I'm so, so happy that I did. Every class I've taken has been wonderful and, even better, each time I go there I feel like I'm entering a community of fun, fit, awesome women.
"You're only one workout away from a good mood!" SO TRUE. 
Uplift has inspirational quotes written on glass and mirrors all around the studio. It's the kind of girly touch that makes me smile as I get ready for class and shower after. Oh, and did I mention the gorgeous locker room that has complimentary Malin & Goetz products, dry shampoo, mouth wash, and everything you could possibly need to make yourself presentable for work, a date, etc.??
everything you need to make yourself presentable after sweating enough to create a small lake on your mat (source
And you need those products since the classes are HARD. Seriously, I am in good cardio and strength shape, and I am always sore after an Uplift class. The 55 or 30 minute classes are mostly a mix of cardio and strength training intervals, with some pilates, yoga, barre, and other options mixed in. Word on the street (AKA weekly email from Uplift) that even more options will be added this fall. Classes are small enough that you feel motivated to not be the slacker and instructors can provide individual attention and adjustments.

I've taken various classes with four of the instructors and all of them have been wonderfully encouraging and tough. Not to start on body image issues or anything, but I have to say that one thing I love about Uplift is that the instructors are all really strong, toned women. No fear of strength-training here! Muscle tone is sexy and clearly Uplift's instructors know it.
Uplift's Raise the Bar workout+wine classes featured in Self Magazine! (source
A lot of the press Uplift has gotten is about its Raise the Bar classes, which consist of a regular class followed by wine tastings, visits to a neighboring bar, etc. These classes are the embodiment of Uplift's overall philosophy: balance in all things, including fitness and socializing. Plus, it's a great way to meet other professional women who are into fitness. On my first visit, I found out that one of the founders, Helena, had spent two years as an attorney at the law firm I'm going to be working at once I graduate law school. She put me in contact with some friends there and it was a great introduction to my new firm.
the gorgeous founders of Uplift: Katie, Helena, and Leanne (source

Ok, yes, maybe I have a girl crush on the entire studio, one of those "I want to be like them when I grow up" feelings, despite technically being grown up already. If you're looking for an awesome workout (or a great yoga class) and a different fitness experience, you have to get to Gramercy and try out Uplift Studios. I think it adds something new and wonderful to the New York fitness scene for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment